3. Identify a safe space to return
While you are passing on a two-lane road, identify a safe space to return.
When passing other vehicles in a two-lane roadway:
- Make sure that there are not any of the above situations, which will limit your ability to pass.
- Make sure that the passing lane is clear and there is no oncoming traffic that makes your turn unsafe. It is hard to judge the speed and distance of oncoming vehicles, especially the large vehicles, so proceed carefully.
- Check your mirrors and look over your left shoulder to make sure that there are no cars trying to pass you.
- Turn on your left signal.
- Move to the left lane for passing.
- Speed up by about 10-15 mph over the speed of the vehicle that you are passing.
- After you pass the vehicle in front of you, look over your right shoulder and make sure that it is clear and you have enough space to return to your lane and then safely return to your lane.
Source: Driverseducationusa.com [link]